The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA), is a cost-effective optical system for space surveillance, Space Situational Awareness (SSA), other scientific applications, and advanced wide field astroimaging. It offers unprecedented value in aperture, speed, field of view, and optical performance. The RASA design has a convenient external prime-focus image capture location with a flat focal plane, providing small spot sizes to the edge of a wide field. The result is images free of optical defects like field curvature, off-axis coma, and astigmatism.
The 36 cm aperture version is the largest RASA Celestron manufactures; it is the biggest and fastest (f/2.2) optical instrument of its kind available “off-the-shelf.” Unlike most telescopes, which only focus visible light (400-700 nm), the RASA 36 cm focuses an extended spectral range (400-900 nm), allowing a brighter signal to be detected by a camera sensor. The RASA 36 cm also features a redesigned focus system, which ensures easy and stable focusing.
RASA 36 cm’s ample back-focus distance (77.5 mm) accommodates a wide variety of imaging sensors. A custom camera adapter can be added for a field of view up to 4.4 degrees.
Important freight requirement – RASA 36 is a professional-caliber, high-precision instrument. It is manufactured and aligned to an exacting standard to provide exceptional optical performance. The telescope has been packaged to ensure it retains alignment and resulting performance during transport. However, due to the weight, size, and known stresses of shipping via parcel service, Celestron has determined that the ideal transport is a palletized delivery via LTL truck freight. For all domestic deliveries, Celestron will ship via this method. We also require this shipping method for all deliveries from Celestron dealers to end customers.
- Celestron’s proprietary XLT coatings, consisting of high-transmission multi-coatings for lenses and high reflectivity aluminum coatings, ensure good light throughput for the optical system
- Integrated cooling fan helps optics cool down to ambient temperature and pulls air through vents with micromesh to prevent dust ingress
- Dual dovetail bars offer flexibility to mount the optical tube and conveniently attach additional accessories. Accomodates “CGE/Losmandy” style dovetails.
- Two sets of 2x threaded insert holes in the rear cell provide additional mounting options
- Move and mount your optical tube with ease with carrying handles on the rear cell
- Although not normally needed, there are 3x sets of push-pull screws to adjust the lens group to achieve optical alignment for the entire system
- Includes M48 camera adapter
- Motor system specifically designed for the RASA 36 cm focuser is manufactured by Starlight Instruments.
|OPTICAL TUBE INFO:
||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph
|Central obstruction diameter:
||158mm (6.22")(44% of aperture diameter)
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye):
||0.39 arc seconds
||0.36 arc seconds
||60.1mm (2.36") Ø, 4.4°
||70mm (2.75") Ø, 5.1°, only minimal performance loss at edge of FOV
||400 – 900 nm
||< 6.3 μm RMS across FOV
||Enhanced aluminum, XLT multi-coatings used throughout
||83% at 30mm (1.18") off-axis
||104mm (4.09") Ø
|Back focus with included camera adapter:
|Back focus from top of threaded collar:
|Optical Tube Length:
|Optical Tube Diameter:
||New focuser design, minimizes focus shift
|Optical Tube Weight:
||75 lbs (34.02 kg)
||Ventilation fan, dual dovetail mounting bars
||48mm (1.89") camera adapter, fan battery pack
- Never look directly at the Sun with the naked eye or with an optic (unless you have the proper solar filter). Permanent and irreversible eye damage may result.
- Never use your optic to project an image of the Sun onto any surface. Internal heat build-up can damage the optic and any accessories attached to it.
- Never leave your optic unsupervised. Make sure an adult who is familiar with the correct operating procedures is with your optic at all times, especially when children are present.
36 cm Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Manual
Camera Adapter requirements
RASA 36 cm dimensional drawing
How to Align a Red Dot Finder to Your Telescope Video
Focus Motor Installation for the RASA 36cm