The Baader Q-Turret Eyepiece Set
Packaged together in a fitted foam lined decorative Astro-Box, the 4 Classic Eyepieces, Q-Barlow, and Q-Turret form a complete set of high quality eyepieces that deliver an extensive range of instantly accessible focal lengths for the astronomical enthusiast (2.7mm, 4.6mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 14mm, 18mm, 32mm).
Classic Ortho and Plossl
Even before the disappearance of the famed Baader Genuine Orthoscopics, Baader Planetarium sought to develop a true Planetary eyepiece set that was accessible for any amateur - without breaking their bank. Introducing the new Baader Planetarium Classic Eyepieces and Q-Turret Eyepiece sets.
Foregoing fancy (and costly) cosmetics, the new Classic Eyepieces deliver where it counts - performance. Their sharpness and contrast rival other 'planetary' eyepieces costing much more. To achieve this performance and value, Baader drew upon their extensive in-house knowledge and experience, combined with optical designs and processes leveraged from Zeiss.
Features of the new Classic Eyepieces:
- Optical design and manufacturing specs based on the highly regarded Zeiss Jena .965 orthoscopics (not any Japanese or Chinese makes).
- Fully Multi-Coated: All air-to-glass surfaces coated with Baader's HT MultiCoatings, specifically matched to each substrate.
- Excellent Ergonomics: The innovative recessed volcano top provides clearance for eyelashes and enables a comfortably located eyepoint without the stray light problems of a full volcano top.
- Integrated winged folding rubber eyecup: Eliminates distracting stray side-light, enabling full concentration on the object, as well as providing a thermally insulating and soft non-scratching top surface (ie, for eyeglass wearers). Also outstanding for BinoViewing. May be folded down or removed, if needed .
- 50degree apparent field (6/10/18mm Ortho): Makes finding and centering objects at high powers easier than typical 40-45deg eyepieces.
- Threaded for 1.25" Astro Filters.
NOTE: The 32mm Classic Plossl also includes a slip-on eyeguard extension tube to permit positioning the eyeguard farther back, for use with the barlow lens, or if the user prefers a shorter eye relief.
2.25X Q-Barlow (HT Multicoatings)
The Classic Q-Barlow has been optically matched to the Classic Eyepieces, and its 2.25X magnification gives a well spaced set of focal lengths. It's removable lens cell can also be unthreaded from the 1.25" barrel, and directly threaded onto any of the eyepieces to give 1.3X, further filling in the choice of focal lengths. Alternatively, it can be directly threaded onto the 1.25" barrel of the Q-Turret to give 2.25X with all 4 eyepieces.
The perfect complement to the Classic Eyepieces. Baader's new 4 position Q-Turret enables rapid magnification change with a twist of the turret. The concave body shape results in a very short optical path length (38mm), enabling the turret to be used even in many Newtonians. The 1.25" OD barrel is threaded for 1.25" astro-filters, as well as the 2.25X Q-Barlow.
Also the perfect tool for imagers. The Q-Turret enables rapid, and parfocal, changing between an eyepiece and CCD cameras / webcams.
Click on the link for a Review of the Classic Q-set by Astronomy Technology Today
Click on the link for a Review of the Test review from Sky&Telescope Magazine October 2003 - The Baader Q-Turret Eyepiece Set - S. Walker
More info on the Classics can be found here, at Hernando Bautista's informative Astronomy and Living Blog.
Click on the link for a complete table of Classic Eyepiece Specifications