Baader Planetarium's NEW version SteelDrive II Motor Drive gives precision temperature compensated focusing control for all Baader Diamond Steeltrack Focusers.
- High Precision for very heavy loads (up to 17lb). Easy adaptation onto all Baader Steeltrack Focusers (Diamond and Classic), no focuser disassembly required for attachment. Can be adapted to other focusers like the FeatherTouch. Adapters for non-Steeldrive focusers are not included.
- Manual focuser functions remain fully accessible
- Thermocompensation. Two digital temperature sensors may be used simultaneously.
- Focusing resolution 2.5micron with absolute positioning.
- Contactless Homing Sensor optionally available for precise homing and repeatable approch of saved absolute positions. Perfect for remote uses.
- 12V/A PWM power output, eg for a dew shield heater (optional cable sold separately). Temp can be controlled precisely via the temp sensor attached to the steeldrive.
- High Torque and low power consumption (0.7W).
- Software support for other focussers.
- Made in Germany.
- Stepper motor with drive electronics
- Timing belt, fits Diamond Steeltrack fine focusing knob
- Standalone SteelDrive Handcontrol
- Thermo Probe with 1m cable
- USB Cable (3M) for PC Control (may also be powered via USB)
- 12V/1.5A power supply.
- ASCOM driver and SteelGo software (download)
High precision focusing of heavy loads
The high-torque stepper motor is directly engaged with the focuser via a timing belt. This eliminates the backlash (and potential cause of defects) induced by gearboxes which would have to be used with lower power motors. The Steeldrive II can quickly move loads up to 8 kg with high precision. The focusing resolution is 2.5μm.
The intuitive hand control makes it possible to find and save the focus point very fast. Several modes are available to move the focuser:
Normal mode: The focuser moves as long as a key is pressed.
Jogging mode: Each keystroke moves the focuser for a distance which is configurable in the SteelGo-software (e.g. 0.1 mm).
Single step mod: Each keystroke moves the focuser for the smallest possible way (ca. 2.5 micrometer).
The configuration of limits, saving and resetting of positions and (de)activating of the temperature control can also be done with the hand control. Brightness of backlight illumination and status LEDs are also configurable.
Contactless Homing Sensor
The Steeldrive II motor unit features a contactless (wearfree) homing sensor (hall-effect sensor). It is activated by a magnet attached to the moving part of the focuser. It enables precise homing and repeatable approach of saved absolute positions as well as reference of the mechanical endstop. A simple mount for this magnet to be attached to the focuser is included in the scope of delivery. For Baader Diamond Steeltrack® focusers, an adapterring made of metal is available separately.
However the Steeldrive II can also be used without the homing sensor as the absolute position is kept in a persistant circular eeprom buffer. Even if a power failure occures, the absolute position is loaded upon restart of the Steeldrive II, as long as the focuser wasn't moved by hand.
Two digital temperature sensors may be used simultaneously. One of each may be connected to the motor- and the controller unit. For the automatic temperature compensation, the specific sensor to be used can be selected, or the average temperature of both sensors may be used (eg. measuring the temperature above and below the telescope tube, or inside and outside), depending on your needs. The temperature compensation factor is for example calculated with the SteelGO software and can then be saved locally on the Steeldrive II controller unit. The compensation period and ∆T threshold can also be adjusted. The temperature compensation may then also be used in standalone mode of operation (without a connected computer).
12V/1A PWM power output (PID-controllable)
The Steeldrive II features a 12V/1A power output. It can be used with an optionally available adapter cable from Steeldrive II Controller AUX Port to Cinch with common dew-cap heaters #2957262 with up to 10W. The power can either be set in the SteelGo software, or you set a desired temperature for one of the temperature sensors. This prevents undesired heating of the telescope, because you keep the dew cap just above the dew point. It can also be used to control the exact temperature (+/-0.1 °C) of e.g. optical filters.
Made in Germany
All mechanical parts are CNC-milled from Aluminium in our workshop. The electronical boards are also designed and made in Germany. We only use high-end electronical components. The electronic circuit boards are additionally protective coated.
Low Power Consumption
The motor current is automatically reduced while in holding state. The Steeldrive II then consumes approximately 0.7 W.
|PAYLOAD CAPACITY (KG)
||up to 8 kg
||2,5 Micrometer per step
||ca. 0,7 Watt
||SteelGo II Software (Download)
||Steeldrive Mark II Control unit, incl. 3m USB-cable, 12V/1,5A power supply, Steeldrive Mark II Motor unit, incl. 1m connection cable, Velcro tapes (cable ties) for strain-relieving cable management, Allen key (2 mm) one temperature sensor with 1m cable,
Manual for Steeldrive II Motor
Manual for Steeldrive II Controller
Manual for Steelgo Software